Monday, October 1, 2007

ironies

So, last week we had to meet with an instructor whose last set of course evaluations were woefully poor. The meeting included such highlights as explaining that answering your cell phone during class on a regular enough basis to have it much noted in the evals, was just not on. There were also the usual laments about digresssions, homework never returned, and my personal favorite, the recomendation to get drunk before tests. Imagine my surprise when today I got through campus mail a notification of this instructor's nomination for a distinguished teaching award. I had to ring the person in charge and say I couldn't really see writing a glowing letter since I had just finished writing a summation of our little chat from last week and it was anything but a glowing endorsement of the person's teaching.

1 comment:

Alison Williams said...

Intriguing. My personal favourite was the year that my colleague got caught sleeping with two of his students. Our dean said, "sleeping with students is not a problem, but you really don't want them COMPLAINING about it." A few months later, he was the one member of faculty to get promoted that year.