Wednesday, February 27, 2008

cafeteria

today i went and found the cafeteria to have my lunch. There are two sides -- one for students, the other for teachers. Very civilized. Anyway, I stood in line, got some soup and a pirozhok (meat pie) and took a glass of apple juice. The woman in front of me chose the same juice. She took a sip and curled her lip - "sour" she said. When it was her turn to pay, she told the cashier that the juice was sour. The cashier left her post and went to the back. She returned with a very large, aproned woman who was clearly in charge of the food. She announced, "the juice is fine, completely normal." The woman insisted "no, its sour". "Nope, absolutely fine." End of story. She had to pay for the juice. Welcome to Russian customer service. Incidentally, I thought the juice was fine too.

1 comment:

Alison Williams said...

Love these stories! Why are you in Moscow at the moment? I mean, I haven't forgotten than you teach Russian, just wondering why now, in the middle of term?