Saturday, March 13, 2010

schooling in Salt Lake

As Sam and I were driving up for his ski lesson this morning he told me all about the assembly they had in school last week. I recall junior high assemblies being either about venereal disease, the inherent safety problems with school buses or, at the other extreme, magic shows. Everyone my age remembers these, especially the magic shows. Magicians don't seem to have the junior high circuit anymore. Sam's assembly was all about avalanche safety. They learned about what to look for in the back country in terms of snow conditions and how best to survive in the event of an avalanche. I now know that if you aren't immediately crushed to death, you can breathe for awhile, but your exhalations will freeze in front of your face and you will eventually suffocate. There's your cheerful thought for the day.

No comments: