Wednesday, June 30, 2010

summer slipping by

Tomorrow is July 1st and it already feels as though the summer is slipping away. The glorious days of not having to be anywhere and most of all no meetings. I am planning to move to the office next door to mine in a couple of weeks - it is bigger and although my cute triangle shaped office seemed appealing 3 years ago, I do not have the personality to keep it in any kind of order so on to bigger space. Which undoubtedly I will also quickly fill with chaos.
This evening we did one of our Millcreek Canyon picnic dinners with Ellen and Lars. The boys got a fire going for the hotdogs and we enjoyed sitting in the cool canyon breeze and chatting. The days are in the 90s now so that voyaging up 1000-2000 feet higher is a real respite.
My veggies are growing like mad. I put in four different types of tomatoes so we could have variety and a better chance of something tasty. They are flourishing - the Black Prince is the biggest... I also planted brussels sprouts. I don't know when they actually produce the sprouts - so far they are just leaves. Then there are two cucumber plants, one is huge and the other probably a goner. We also did a lot of basil and some cilantro. Pictures tomorrow.

1 comment:

Alison Williams said...

All sounds lovely. I do like the US system of truly having 3 months off. Our meetings don't finish until mid-July, and start up again beginning of Sept. And masters students write their theses over the summer. However, we are also paid for 12 months, so I'm not really complaining.