Saturday, November 27, 2010

Vegan? No thanks.

I feel that I have demonstrated a true act of friendship having made and delivered the vegan onion soup. First, I looked at the French recipe and realized that the gobs of butter and beef bouillon were not going to work. Actually, I was already up to speed on the latter and had bought mushroom broth, but butter is so essential in my world, I was flummoxed. I stopped at Albertsons and pondered the butter like substances, but they had nothing that met my criteria. So I went to another supermarket and found something that is lactose free, gluten free, soy free... you get the picture. Came home and made the batch of soup for our friends and then set out to deliver it. Got within striking range and realized that I don't actually know where they live. So there's me driving up and down very Salt Lake streets (i.e. they are called things like 3045 south) wondering if I will ever find the house. Eventually had to call someone, who called them (I don't have their numbers as they are more Craig's friends than mine) and me and my now very mushroomy smelling car pulled up and made the delivery. I assured them that "it is the thought that counts" and if it is inedible, they should pour it out straight away.
Then came home and put the finishing touches on our batch that had beef broth, butter and loads of lovely french bread floating on top under a melted swiss cheese. Yum.

No comments: